On Wednesday May 17th, 2017, we organized a HYPERTENSION AWARENESS DRIVE at Makerere University Freedom Square with the theme "KNOW YOUR NUMBERS". This event was aimed at promoting public awareness of the risks and prevention and was open to the student community of Makerere University aged 15-35.
1. TO ENABLE PEOPLE TO KNOW THEIR NUMBERS BY MEASURING THEIR BLOOD PRESSURE (BP) AND THEIR BODY MASS INDEX (BMI).
2. TO EDUCATE PEOPLE ABOUT HYPERTENSION AND WHAT THE NUMBERS (BP and BMI) MEAN.
This event ran from 9:00am to 4:00pm according to the following schedule:
1. Participants were registered on arrival.
2. Volunteers took blood pressure as well as height and weight to determine the BMI of each of the participants.
3. Volunteers and participants engaged in free Q&A sessions about their personal health or cardiovascular health in general.
4. The event ended with a brief lecture by the organizers on the significance of hypertension awareness and prevention. After the lecture, a brief Q&A session followed.
At this event, participants were educated about hypertension and the importance of knowing and monitoring their blood pressure and their body mass index as the first important steps toward awareness and prevention.
*All cases that required further attention were referred to different medical practitioners to ensure proper and appropriate care is obtained.
*We partnered with the UGANDA BLOOD BANK, through which we also ran a blood drive recruiting 85 donors on that day.
The total number of participants at the event was 220!
To all the YP kampala chapter volunteers who sacrificed their resourceful time to offer services, and the YP chapter members who contributed financially, morally and all aspects, we give our deepest and sincere thanks.
YP-CDN Kampala Chapter / Uganda Blood Bank / Research and Writers Club Makerere.
This summary was compiled by: Ssekyanzi Henry, Projects Secretary